Monday, November 4, 2013
Share the Love
If you watch television or visit any store you've probably been aware since October 1st that Christmas is on it's way. My first response was to groan at how friggin' early they force it on me, and then I got a little bit excited (I'm not a total Scrooge). However, the excitement didn't stay for long as I started to consider how hard the holidays are going to be for us emotionally. Since her death I've had to "re-purpose" some events, people, etc. to make them bearable. I don't know why I thought the holidays were going to be any different. Quite honestly, it takes some serious effort to be joyful, cheery, or bright at this point in our life. Our spirits are not in tune with that of the holidays. Add to that we were supposed to be having our very first Christmas with our beautiful newborn and I'm ready to crawl in a hole and emerge on the other side of New Years. I thought of ways we would include her this year and they all just felt more painful than healing. Our family Christmas card is likely to stump me for the rest of my life. How to honor your child that has died and not smear grief all over everyone else's holly jolly Christmas? I'll let you know how that one works out, or not. I also looked at hand crafted stockings on Etsy, ones I would've studied over for hours if she'd lived, and my heart sank at the thought we wouldn't be able to fill it for our child. So, as I usually do, I sought the advice of my beautiful friends in my support group. An idea emerged that I adored and I'm bringing this idea to you. What if that stocking didn't have to hang limp with unfulfilled promise? What if we filled it with love and kindness of Everlee's memory shared? In my heart, that would be something worthy of my child's life. So, I'm asking whoever would, let's share some kindness this season. Sponsor a child, buy someone's coffee, volunteer at a shelter, whatever you feel inspired to do in her honor and write us a note about the love you shared because of her life. Mail your story to us (415 Sioux Trail, Chattanooga TN 37411) and we will fill her stocking with your stories. We will read them together on Christmas and it will help the pain in our hearts as we miss her so dearly. It will help us to celebrate her, too. I know I ask a lot of my friends and family. Honestly, you guys always go so far above and beyond what I could ever dream, and I'm hoping you'll do it again. To know her sweet little light went out into the world and inspired kindness and generosity is something I cannot describe with words. So, are you in? I can't wait to find out what you kind souls come up with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is beautiful!! I'm in! :)
ReplyDelete